Accelerate cloud transformations, reduce migration risk, and govern with confidence. CloudSphere’s automated software discovers and maps even the most complex applications across hybrid environments without having to install agents. A key step in any cloud transformation plan is a current state analysis of the entire IT estate that shows your infrastructure, applications, and how those workloads are connected.
This article will introduce you to the key areas of the tool to enable you to get up and running quickly.
In the menu on the left, you will see the 3 key areas:
- Explorer - View inventory and discovered assets
- Discovery - Configure scanning and data gathering
- Settings - Configure the system
You may need to click the minus symbols to collapse any expanded menus in order to see all options.
Explorer is where you will view the details of what has been discovered in your environment. It includes the following key categories:
- Services - Logical groupings of servers and applications based on the discovered dependencies and communication information.
- Servers - physical, virtual, and cloud servers.
- Applications - Instances of software that have been discovered on the servers.
By clicking any of the categories or subcategories, you will see a list of assets of that type.
Double Clicking an item in the list will show you the details of that asset.
Discovery is where you will configure your discovery scan jobs to gather inventory data. In addition to having at least one scanning appliance deployed, scan jobs require two key pieces of information from you:
- Scope - Where to perform the scan. Usually described as a list of Subnets, IP Ranges, Individual IPs, or hostnames.
- Credentials - To allow the scanning appliance to connect to and gather data from the target servers.
Credentials are stored in secure keychains that can either be stored in the CloudSphere cloud or directly on your appliance.
Settings is where you configure the system. In here you will:
- Download and configure scanning appliances.
- Configure cloud accounts.
You may need to scroll to the bottom of the menu in order to see the settings option in the menu.